- You Are Here
- Public Works
- Building Department
Ohio Building Code Compliance
It is our mission to protect the customer's life, investment, health and welfare by providing quality service through communication, education and assisting customers in compliance with the Ohio Codes.
The Lima/ Allen County Building Department is responsible for enforcing in accordance with the Ohio Building Code and issuing Commercial Building Permits within the unincorporated townships of Allen County and four contract jurisdictions, including Beaverdam, Elida, Harrod and Lafayette. For the building permit process, the department coordinates the approvals required for the issuance of the building permit and the inspections that are required by the various agencies before the Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Completion can be issued. Residential one-, two- and three-family dwellings within the City of Lima Corporation Limits "only" are enforced in accordance with Residential Code of Ohio and issuance of the appropriate permits.
Ohio Building Code Reference Library
M-F 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Inspectors are generally in the office between 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.
Requesting Inspections & Scheduling Meetings
Department staff are available in person, by phone and by email for conferences on code issues. Meetings can easily be arranged with the various agencies involved in the permit process if requested. Email the Building Department with a question or concern.
MAY IS BUILDING SAFETY MONTH
It Starts with YOU!
Building Safety Month is an international campaign celebrated in May to raise awareness about building safety.
For more than 42 years, Building Safety Month has reinforced the need for the adoption of modern, regularly-updated building codes, and helps individuals, families and businesses understand what it takes to create safe and sustainable structures.
The 2023 Building Safety Month theme is "It Starts with YOU!", and each week focuses on a specific topic:
Week 1 (May 1–7): Building Safety Starts at Home
Week 2 (May 8–14): Building Safety Professionals and You
Week 3 (May 15–21): Prepare Your Community
Week 4 (May 22–28): Advocate for Your Community
Week 5 (May 29–31): Solving Challenges Together
Help spread the word about Building Safety Month on your social media profiles by sharing our premade posts that incorporate Building Safety Month text and images specific to each weekly theme.
For the last 43 years, we have celebrated advances in constructing safe, sustainable, affordable and resilient buildings and homes. The ongoing support of Building Safety Month and the important role code officials play in public safety in the built environment has come from U.S. presidents, governors, mayors, county executives, other government officials and construction industry professionals.
Learn more about Building Safety Month at www.buildingsafetymonth.org or join the conversation on social media using #BuildingSafety365.
CONTRACTOR DESIGN, CODE & PERMITTING INFORMATION
- Contractor Registration
- Residential Information
- Commercial Information
- Electronic Plan Review
- Video Inspection Remote (VIR)
To register as a Contractor with the Building Department, the following requirements shall be met:
1. A copy of a valid, un-expired State of Ohio contractors License (HVAC, Electrical, Etc). This requirement does not apply to building contractors.
2. Certificate of Liability Insurance in the amount of $300,000.00 listing the City of Lima as the holder of the certificate.
3. Copy of Workers Compensations Certificate.
4. Registration with the City of Lima Tax Department.
5. Completed Application.
6. Payment of a 50.00 (per trade) non-refundable
For Information, permits, forms and policies regarding ONE, TWO and THREE FAMILY DWELLINGS, view Residential Information
For information, forms, permits and policies regarding COMMERCIAL, INDUSTRIAL, FOUR+ FAMILY RESIDENTIAL and INSTITUTIONAL projects, view Commercial Information
All required permit approvals and inspections are tracked on the department's Franklin Information Systems software. Zoning Certificates from the local zoning authority are required before an application for a building permit can be approved. Anyone applying for a building permit may contact the department for help at the beginning of the process. The web based services accessible through Franklin Information Systems include:
- Request an inspection on your permit
- View inspection on your permit
- View lot/address information
- View permit information
- View plan review information
- View address information
- Enter an Application for Garage Sale
Apply for Garage Sale Permit
How the on-line Garage Sale Permit process works:
- Apply for a Garage Sale Permit Opens a New Window. .
- There is an overview of the terms for our customers to read and understand.
- Our customer/s may search for address by entering: the House Number and Street Name or Lot Number or Property Owner Name or Parcel ID.
- Customer/s will need to fill in the required information, select start and end date and submit application.
- Application will be reviewed and upon approval the permit will be emailed to the customer. The customer will also receive an email if the application is not approved.
The application will need to be submitted two business days prior to the sale to allow time for processing.
There is no charge to our customers for the On-line Garage Sales application and permit. Applications will continue to be accepted in the Building and Zoning office and the current permit fee of five dollars will apply.
Fire Protection System Inspections
In collaboration with area Fire Chiefs, the City of Lima has developed guidelines for the inspection of Fire Protection Systems.
City of Lima Planning & Zoning Code
Lima, Ohio Code of Ordinances
Local legislation current through June 22, 2015.
For the complete Library, view the code of ordinances. You may also view Part Twelve - Planning and Zoning Codes.
Additional Building and Permit Information
- Lima-Allen County Developers Guide Opens in New Window
- Special Inspections Required by Ohio Building Code Opens in New Window
- Lima-Allen County Building Department Contact Information Opens in New Window
- City of Lima Demolition Specifications Opens in New Window
- Garage Sale Permits Opens in New Window
- Ohio Building Code Reference Library Opens in New Window
- pens in New WindowSite Development Plan Review Opens in New Window
- DCD Land Bank Information Opens in New Window